Closed Captioning

For captioning problems during non-emergency programming, you may file a written complaint with either the FCC or Spencer Municipal Utilities. If you file your complaint with the FCC, the FCC will forward the complaint to Spencer Municipal Utilities.

The FCC rules establish specific time limits for filing closed captioning complaints. Your written complaint must be filed within 60 days of the captioning problem. After receiving a complaint, either directly from you or from the FCC, the video programming distributor will have 30 days to respond to the complaint. If you filed your complaint with your video programming distributor and they do not respond within 30 days, or if a dispute remains, you can send your complaint to the FCC.

You can file your written complaint by using the online complaint form found at: You can also file your complaint with the FCC's Consumer Center by emailing:; faxing 1-866-418-0232, or writing to:

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

To file a complaint directly with Spencer Municipal Utilities:
Spencer Municipal Utilities
Telecom Manager
520 2nd Avenue East, Suite 1
Spencer, IA 51301
P: 712-580-5800
F: 712-580-5336
Visa   MasterCard   Discover
If you, a SMU customer, feel that you have processed a payment in error, please contact our customer service at 712-580-5800 or email us to request a refund.